DID YOU KNOW?
- Burning a candle for one hour = smoking 1 cigarette
- It takes 26 seconds for chemicals in your personal care products to enter your bloodstream and touch every organ in your body.
- The average woman wears 515 chemicals on the average day.
- “Babies are born with over 287 different chemicals in their cord blood—180 cause cancer in humans or animals, 217 are toxic to the brain or nervous system and 208 cause birth defects or abnormal development.” -Environmental Working Group
- “Fragrance” on a product label is just a legal protection (proprietary) for a corporation to hide hundreds of chemicals in the product you are using
- 1938-The last time the United States passed a federal law to regulate what goes into personal care products
- 80%- the percentage of cosmetic ingredients that have never been tested for safety
- According to the FDA:1
“FDA’s legal authority over cosmetics is different from our authority over other products we regulate, such as drugs, biologics, and medical devices. Under the law, cosmetic products and ingredients do not need FDA premarket approval, with the exception of color additives.
- Adding insult to injury, the FDA tasks the companies that manufacture and market cosmetics with ensuring their safety. Not only does this pose an obvious conflict of interest, but “neither the law nor FDA regulations require specific tests to demonstrate the safety of individual products or ingredients.” (Dr. Mercola)
- And,“the law also does not require cosmetic companies to share their safety information with FDA.” So, while cosmetics companies are responsible for substantiating the safety of their own cosmetics, there are no required tests to do so and they don’t have to share safety data about their products… the FDA isn’t even authorized to order recalls of hazardous chemicals from the market.2